Your domain name is important, it’s the URL someone types in to find your website. Choosing one seems easy enough, but there are some little-discussed best practices that should be followed in order to stay one step ahead.
Here’s 5 tips about Domain Names that no one ever told you:
- AVOID DASHES AND NUMBERS – probably the least known tip on this list. These have been historically regarded as spam domains. If that’s not enough to convince you, Google themselves says it will lower your perceived credibility, which ABSOLUTELY has an effect on SEO.
- THE SHORTER, THE BETTER – why? Because shorter is easier to type in and more importantly, easy to remember.
- USE KEYWORDS – SEO opportunities are everywhere! Relevant words in your domain can help people find you in a search (this includes city names!).
- AVOID FUNNY SPELLINGS – unless it’s in regards to your brand name, spell things correctly. Using odd spellings will certainly make it difficult for people to find you.
- CHECK AVAILABILITY AND HAVE BACKUPS – any domain registrar (Namecheap, Google, etc) has an availability checker. Before you get too excited, make sure it’s available. If it’s not, use this list as best practices to brainstorm a new idea!
Spend some time making sure you’ve chosen something that follows these best practices. After you’ve made a decision is when things really get exciting! Often, planning your strategy and building your website will follow, and you’ll be one step closer to attracting your ideal customer.